Old 24-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Emrys Davies

Default How to present veg for exhibiting?

The Horticultural Exhibitors' Manual says:

"Janet & Tim Costidell" wrote in
message ...
Hi all, I and a colleague work in a large private garden, and have

been
growing organic veg for two years now for the owner.

The local village show is tomorrow, and we would like to show some of

the
veg, but having never done so before, could anyone be kind enough to

give
some advice on presentation?

We have:

Raspberries (exhibit is for 6)

Each fruit should be placed in a leaf

Corgettes

Only refers to cucumbers. They should have the flower end facing the
judges. If more than one they should be as alike as twins.

Onions

Sit them on small rings (cut them from a roll of cardboard or similar)
or

Fill a suitable basket with moss to a pinacle and arrange the onions so
that they are on a gradient.

Each should be of the same size and shape.

Marrows

As for cucumbers

Pumpkins

No mention

Cherry Tomatoes

Only mentions tomatoes.

Pick at the first joint with the green sepals attached to the fruit. Do
not disturb the sheen. Display on a white plate with stalks upwards.
Must be of uniform size.

Runner Beans

Cut with an inch of stem attached. Must be as long as possible provided
all are of uniform length, must be fresh and straight with no signs of
seeds showing in the pods and no trace of stringiness.

Display on a white background.

Mange Tout

No mention

Also Dahlias

Place in vases which contain water and hold in position with moss or
wire.

PS Clearly identify your exhibit for benefit of the public, providing
the rules allow this.

This book (mine) was published in 1952. Best of luck.

An Internet guide:

http://muextension.missouri.edu/expl...ort/g06230.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.