Old 24-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Al

Default Shade cloth at Home Depot?

30% shade cloth allows 70% of the sun to get through. :-) It blocks 30% of
the sunlight.

I made the mistake of ordering 30% the first time I ordered shade cloth
thinking that it let 30% of the light through and blocked 70% and then tried
to use it to shade Phals. It was obvious (up to 75% more) as I put it up
that I had made a mistake.

Al

wrote in message
"Gene Schurg" wrote:
Sounds to me like they were giving 100% shade with the Home Depot
Stuff...probably not meant for horticultural uses.

That's what I was suspecting. For porches and such.

I ordered mine from Charlies Greenhouse. www.charliesgreenhouse.com

You can buy it with raw edges or hemmed with grommets.

Ah! Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, especially
that they will make it for custom sizes.

This will be for the South-facing balcony of our apartment. I'd like
to get two panels for the railing, and two panels for the space
between the railing and roof, all with grommets for adjustability.
Hopefully that will let me balance things so I can make better use of
my space.

One more question, though. Charlie's lists the cloth as 30, 52, and
66%. I infer from the listing for lath cloth that this is the
percentage of light blocked, but it's not stated explicitly. Anyone
know for sure?

I'm looking for just enough block to let high-light plants take midday
Florida sun. I'm thinking 30% block should be good. Anyone agree or
disagree?

TIA

Gannet
St. Petersburg, Florida