Old 24-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Don Phillips

Default Why yellow tops to tomatoes?

Please can any one help? We grow small Nectar F1 tomatoes each year
(about a dozen plants) in a South facing spot against a six ft high
brick wall. The site seems Ideal. The fruit are delicious, being both
tender and sweet. Two years ago the crop was badly affected by mildew
and so on the advice of friends we have grown our tomatoes in grow bags
for the last two years.

With the exception of the mildew year we have always had an excellent
crop and this year has been no exception, but there is a worry. Many
of the tomatoes have yellow tops around the area where the tomato is
connected to the calyx. We have kept the plants well watered (each
evening) and have fed them with a tomato feed on a couple of occasions
as some of the leaves were going yellow. We waited expecting the
affected tomatoes to go red all over as they ripened but these tomatoes
are beginning to drop off.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this, should we worry about it and what
should we do to prevent it happening in the future? We are assuming
that they are fit to eat as there is no noticeable difference in taste.

Hope you can help, many thanks.
--
Don