Old 24-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Brian Sandle

Default Allergy to Bt cotton?

In sci.med.nutrition Mooshie peas wrote:
On 20 Aug 2003 23:05:46 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:

On a cursory scan I can see nothing
(unfortunately, there's someone called Butcher, BT, who seems to have
done a lot of work on byssinosis and cotton, but not as far as I can
see on Bt).

Who is going to bother to research it?

Plenty of scientists looking for phenomena to explore, or at least
I've known a few.

And who wants to fund it?

Who is bothering with the lungs of child outworkers helping their parents
to get paid for their contracts?

See above.

I'm sure you'll have a reference or two (URLs only, please).

Meanwhile, let the double-blind underpant trials commence. I'd be a
lot less nervous about taking part than I would about using unbleached
loo-paper and bringing my sensitive underparts in contact with the
proven carcinogens secreted by those nasty trees.

I think the strong perfumes put into toilet paper may be troublesome.

Which ones? Using the generic term "perfumes" is as useless as using
the generic term "pesticides". They are both a very broad group of
substances.

Maybe they swell the tissues into piles, same as might be a result in some
people of using anti-angina nitroglycerin spray standing up. I wonder.

Ummm, the mechanism of haemorrhoid formation and the action of
nitroglycerin on smooth muscle are hardly connected, I would have
thought. Haemorrhoids are genetic, in the main. Even with NO
constipation during one's life, they will form in some, and with
chronic constipation all ones life some will avoid them.

Some types of haemorrhoids are filled with blood more than others.
Sometimes the doc will let the blood out.

Smooth muscle is the muscle of the arteries. Nitroglycerin relaxes
the smooth muscle and so blood pressure drops as more blood flows
through relaxed arteries. Any tendency to a haemorrhoid may be
supplied with more blood. If the patient is walking the haemorrhoid
may grow and get pinched by the anal sphincter. Inflammaiton may
occur causing swollen tissue in the area, too.