Old 24-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Pam

Default When to start water / fertilizing established bulbs for the fall?

Pelvis Popcan wrote:

OK, from what I've read, bulbs like daffodils and tulips become active
in the fall and grow roots. During this time it's recommended to water
and fertilize them. I use a metering pump to apply Algoflash at 1/2 oz
per gallon every few days.

My question is though, when is it best to start this? September 1?
September 15? October 1?

I'd recommend you use a fertilizer that is formulated specifically for
bulbs (typically not a water soluble product) and work gently into the
soil above where the bulbs are planted. This should be done at the time
when you normally plant spring blooming bulbs in your climate - in most
cases the bulbs are not even available for sale until after Labor Day.
Unless you have an unusually dry fall, supplemental irrigation is not
necessary - let Mother Nature take her course. In my zone 8 climate, I
wouldn't even think about planting spring blooming bulbs before
mid-October. It's too warm and too dry.

pam - gardengal