Old 24-08-2003, 07:02 PM
dstvns

Default When do you harvest pumpkins?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:05:32 -0400, "Penny Goulden"
wrote:

I'm not sure when I'm suppose to pick my pumpkins. I have one giant
atlantic that is turning orange but I think it's going to get alot bigger.
Then I have the little jack o lanterns ( I think thats what they are called)
anyway, there are alot of those mini ones, do I wait? some are very orange
already.

I usually pick mine when they turn orange. Any excess energy will be
diverted to other pumpkins still ripening on the vine.

DO NOT PULL the pumpkin off the stem. This will drastically reduce
shelf life of the pumpkin. Cut the stem about 2 inches up with a
sharp knife and hold the pumpkin at the base while carrying it.
Bruising the pumpkin will also decrease shelf life.

I have many pumpkins that can last until April, while others that only
last a few weeks...the trick is using the damaged ones as soon as
possible. When a pumpkin or squash goes bad it's not pretty, it turns
into the consistency of a big smelly water balloon and can cause other
nearby fruit to quickly degrade.

Dan