Old 24-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Water Melon

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , kk kkkkk

wrote:
What are the chances of growing Water Melon outside in South London?

Growing one - good. Getting ripe fruit - very poor indeed.

As students, my friend Constant Wilke and I did a lot of mountaineering in
South Africa. On one occasion we carried a watermelon and a sweet melon
with us as a source of water. We planted the pips in a sunny flat at 5000
ft altitude.

The following year there were dozens of ripe melons of both kinds waiting
for us when we revisited the place.

At about 9 degrees south of the tropic of Cancer; London is 28 degrees
north of the tropic of Capricorn. Alternatively, you planted them some
35 degrees north of the Antarctic circle; London is 16 degrees south of
Arctic circle.

I should be surprised if the insolation during the growing seasons
were less than a factor of two different.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.