Old 24-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Climber for a waterless location

The message

All right, it is not THAT bad, but it is in the rain shadow of the
house and gets no direct rain at all. Cyclamen coum LOVE the location
and it is underplanted with them. It faces north east and there is a
paving block drive that gets rain and it can reach with its roots.

Discard drain from paved area to wall idea - you might not appreciate
dampness problems which may arise......

I had a Clematis henryi, which was spectacular for 2 years, OK for
one and then dropped dead.

Not surprised. They like a moist place.

I have a Lonicera japonica, but it has
never really looked good because of the summer drought effect. I am
thinking of trying a passion flower, but am not sure whether it will
be happy with so little sun.

I wouldn't think so. Also, it doesn't like it too cold in the winter,
and may be killed off by a long frost.

It is fairly sheltered by my standards, but nothing that can't take
an air frost of -5 Celcius has a hope, and it really needs to be
able to take -10 Celcius. I really want something evergreen, too,
if possible, which passion flowers aren't really (here).

Ah, makes my previous point.

Any other ideas?

I could send you a large-leaf varigated ivy?

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to