Old 24-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default manure v. compost

The message
from "PA" contains these words:

I'm going to cover my allotment over the winter, but I cant decide to use
manure or compost.
I can get a load of manure delivered for £25, but I don't how old it is or
any thing else about it, the other option I thought of was, wicks have a
special offer on at the mo, 3 x 90lt bags of compost £9 ( peat based
though ), I have some Marshall organic extra that I was going to mix with
it.
so the question is: manure better then compost?
or use both?

Depends on the ground. If the soil is already good loam, compost (i.e.,
peat-like stuff) won't help it much, but if it's heavy ground, or sandy,
it will. Manure will help virtually all soils, and over winter it should
be incorporated and broken down by the worms.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to