Old 05-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Seed catalogues and other questions

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 04:43:01 -0500, "Bunny McElwee"
wrote:

The problem I have now though, is my new home has a HORRID problem
with Moles. Every neighbor has them and they have found very little in the
way of relief. I can't see putting anything in the ground, I know the moles
will tear them up.

Our cat has done an excellent job on getting rid of moles
for us, and for our neighbors. Really excellent, some days
she's brought home three moles in one day....she's dedicated
to her work, and a happy worker too!

I'd like to do some more container gardening, especially
since I have a beautiful large front porch with plenty of sun and air
circulation. Can anyone recommend good plants for container growing, yield
need only be enough for two people.

Almost anything can be grown in a container - especially if
the container's large. These are the things I grew last
year in containers on our deck:

Swiss chard
lettuce - various types
romaine
beets
green peppers
hot peppers
collard greens
bok choy
basil
one tomato plant (that was a LARGE plant - Yellow Pear
tomatoes. We had to transplant it out of a big pot into a
huge Rubbermaid storage tub.)

I could have grown more on the deck, but we also have a
garden in the back yard.

Here's a site about container gardening: I don't know how
useful this site is, but worth a look, I suppose:

http://www.containerveggies.com/

You can find more websites on container gardening by
Googling on 'container gardening'.

I like to can things as well. Should I
stick with local garden center seedlings or go the start from seed route?

If this is the first time you've gardened, I'd recommend
starting with seedlings from the local garden center.

If
so, where is the best place to buy seeds, and where can I get catalogues
from the top seed companies for next year?

There are a number of excellent seed houses. Here's a site
which lists many of them, and rates them too. You can
request catalogs online, in most cases.

http://gardenwatchdog.com/

Pat

-- Pat Meadows