Old 25-08-2003, 01:32 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default I think I'm done...

Sounds like you might be trying *too* hard. This is my first year and
with the exception of May when I did a lot of digging, amending,
sifting out rocks and such...gardening has been a light chore. 20-40
minutes each morning. As my plants filled out weeding became almost
non-existant and watering and occasional bug-duty were the major
concerns. Maybe you took on too much, made too big a garden and
couldn't keep a handle on it and frustrated yourself. I planted about
60 varieties, about 45 germinated successfully and grew, but my garden
is small. Probably 30-35 square feet with all the containers. Maybe
you should try working with containers and avoid the clay issue.

You'll still have to worry about deer. Deer and wildlife are a big
issue and one I don't have to deal with as much. If I did I know from
others a 8-10 foot fence is the best solution. I'd have to approach
gardening with that in mind. Or maybe construct a greenhouse and limit
myself to what fits in there.

I don't agree that gardening need be a life-long choice. For me it is
simply one interest of many and something nice to have out back. I
don't plan on acheiving self-sustenance or making enough to can and
jar for the next decade. Just some fresh vegetables, herbs and some
nice scenery to enjoy.

Best of Luck

Kevin Miller wrote:

... I've been at this gardening thing for about 6 years now,
vegetables and flowers/shrubs. As I entered the hobby, I had no idea
how many "outside" factors there would be (no pun intended) Whether
it's been drought, too much rain, clay, deer - all my hours and hours
of work over the last few years looks horrible. I thought of raking
out the mulch and running the mower over it all, but I don't think
even grass would grow well. I've watched this group, read dozens of
books, watched HGTV very Saturday. I'm sick. Not one bed I have
looks good, even my black eyed susans have all fallen over. If it's
not dead, it's either diseased or brown. Despite efforts to amend the
soil as I've read countless times, it's as hard as concrete. Thanks
for all your help recently and maybe I'll see you in another group
sometime. Take care....

Kevin

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener