Old 25-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Alan Gabriel

Default manure v. compost

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"PA" wrote:

Hello PA

P I'm going to cover my allotment over the winter, but I cant
P decide to use manure or compost. I can get a load of manure
P delivered for £25, but I don't how old it is or any thing
P else about it, the other option I thought of was, wicks have
P a special offer on at the mo, 3 x 90lt bags of compost £9 (
P peat based though ), I have some Marshall organic extra that
P I was going to mix with it. so the question is: manure
P better then compost? or use both? thanks Paul

Most horse places are only too willing to let you collect for free -
if you've got something to shift the stuff then it might work out a
lot cheaper, and you can be fussier about what you collect than if it
was delivered.

My friends daughter has just moved her horse to a field with one other
horse. One of the rental stipulations for the field is that they dispose of
all horse manure.

They bag it up and bring it to me. I would never have believed the amount of
s__t that comes out of two horses.

ATM the heap is 4' x 12' x 3' high - and it`s only been going for six weeks.

I`m in desperately need of 10 pallets to build three compost bins.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.