Old 25-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Mooshie peas

Default Mould retardants in bread: was: Allergy to Bt cotton?

On 21 Aug 2003 23:38:10 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:

In sci.agriculture Steve B wrote:
On 21 Aug 2003 10:11:40 GMT, (bogus address)
wrote:

In the Bad Old Days when I was a child in Britain, a loaf of bread
might last a week (in an ordinary "bread bin", not having to be put in
the fridge), and loaves actually got *finished* before they became
inedible - certainly before there was the slightest sign of mould.

In the fifties we use to buy `half a loaf of bread' here. That was
about the weight of a current package of bread, and people eleswhere
would call it a loaf. It was baked by putting two dollops of dough
into a tin so the two `quarters' could be pulled apart, and you only
had to buy a quarter.

In NZ today, I an forced to throw away about 20% of the bread I buy.
Who are the "capitalists" trying to control our eating to their own
profit?

Maybe you can find a dairy which would cut a bit off a loaf for you.

Can't two sets of sensitivites and two sets of "freedoms" be
accommodated at once?

I feel there must be another reason for this deprivation, other than
potential allergenicity.

Any more ideas?

If benzoate is a bacteriostat in bread would it also be inside us? A
very large proprtion of our faeces is bacteria. Whereas benzoate may
not hurt us immediately it might over a duration, especailly for
people who have bread as a greater proportion of their diet.

First find the fate of benzoate in the human GI tract.
Then do a sensitivity culture of common gut commensals.