Old 25-08-2003, 04:22 AM
dkat

Default Crickets like beer and slugs seek revenge

Southern California does use ground water. I grew up on it. My
brother-in-law is president of a water company in Rialto that uses it.
Arrowhead lake has natural springs from which the water is(or was?) bottled
and sold. As Emelia stated there are many reasons for Southern California's
water problems.... all of them tied to overpopulation. The water that comes
from the Colorado river has the problem of having vast amounts of fertilizer
dumped into it(not literally ... figuratively) and taste as such...
Basically we have too many people on earth to sustain the way of life that
Americans live. We are approximately 5% of the worlds population and we use
~25% of its resources.

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , (dstvns)

writes:

A bit more toxic than roundup...but ya can't have the
fries without it.

Isn't this why California can't use well water and they're always
fighting over more water from neighboring states? Their own well
water table is heavily salted.

Dan

That's a pretty broad statement: California is a very big state.
There's a whole lot of California other than the Southern portion,
to which I imagine you are referring. Most of Northern California
uses wells very "well". Just about everyone up here has a well.
And even those who have city water use well water as all city
water comes from deep wells. It's very good water, too.

As for SoCal, there are a great many very complicated reasons
for their water problems. One simple reason is too many people
in what is essentially a desert. Not only fighting with neighboring
states, but within the state: ask the people in Owens Valley or
at Mono Lake about that! (Read Cadillac Desert)

Oh well enough of that, it's a nice cool morning, after a very hot
summer and I am going to weed and deadhead.

Emilie
NorCal (the "lost" California)