Old 25-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Shade cloth at Home Depot?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:39:02 -0400, wrote:
Well, the balcony faces South, so there is the area near the
wrought-iron railing that's in full sun most of the day, and the area
in the shadow of the hard roof. The idea is to hang shade cloth
vertically, and place plants directly behind that, in the "full sun"
area. Right now that area is not very usable for orchids, and indeed,
under the hard roof may well not be bright enough for Vandas.
Paradoxically, I need the shade cloth so I can increase the light for
the Vandas.

Thanks for the confirmation of percents.

Gannet
St. Petersburg, Florida

When we were in Chicago, I had a south facing window (8'x6') that
I put Shade cloth on in March and took off in October.(50% shade)
Now in Colorado we have it over the gh all the time.... I just
never got a panel to fit the end. So we have an extra hot/bright
zone. Reluctant Ascda, Vandas, Mokaras, and any other high light
that does not bloom gets the hot-bright treatment.

The problem is you will have to experiment with your plant
selection as well as you shade. I would guess that the actual
use will be to cut the heat in the apt. and give the back row
some non-burning light. Don't forget the amount of water and
fertilizer as well as humidity and air movement will effect the
sunburn ratio on your plants.

SuE