Old 25-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default biotech & famine

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:31:01 GMT, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
snip
Gordon, hypothetical commercial GM seed potatoes of the future, which
have not yet been developed into existence are not very good examples
of short development time of GM seeds. I am pretty sure Novartis is
referring to actual experience from developing actually existing
commercial GM varieties, when they say GM varieties generally take a
bit more time to develop than new conventionally bred varieties.

They have been trying for years and genetic engineering methods
got it done when conventional breeding had failed time and time
again.

See above. It's gone in by either method, however, the development
time for commercially available seeds with _Solanum bulbocastanum_

late blight resistance genetics is just not known. You can't use an
unknown development time to exemplify short development time, that
ought to be selfevident.

You don't need to produce seed snip

Sorry, I meant to be understood as talking about seed potatoes there.
The point is that the development time for commercially available seed
potatoes with _Solanum bulbocastanum_ late blight resistance genetics
is not known, since none are commercially available. You can't use an