Old 25-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Bob Knight

Default Green water?????

We recently began our pond by digging a J shaped whole that's about 2.5 feet
at the deepest point. The rim of the whole pond is reinforced with 2x2
wooden stakes, driven into the ground to ground level and then lined with
rubber garden edging. A 20x22 liner was put into place and now we were ready
to fill it with water.

We purchased a pump and external filter with a filter medium in the bottom
tray and a foam filter above that. Put a few rocks in and around for now,
with one water Lilly and things were beginning to take shape. Our plan is to
make a waterfall.

The water looked pretty good the first week, until the additional filter
medium I purchased, was flushed out of the filter, filling the pond with
these brown pellets that turned to brown mush. I cleaned much of that up
with the shopvac, but a few days ago the water turned green.

Yesterday a friend dropped off 10 good sized goldfish, so now we have all
these fish that we can't see because of the murky green water.

What can we do to clarify the water, without harming the fish?

PS: My next posting will include pictures and specific details about the
pump and filter make and capacity.

Bob