Old 25-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Earnest Trawler

Default moving a 15foot high weeping willow

Mine is less than 10 meters from the house, which is why I pollard it at
3
meters every year, I have not had any trouble from it. Having been

pollarded
every year for 10 years it has two huge burls on top of the twin trunks

and
puts out dozens of thin branches. This time of year it looks like the
classic child's drawing of a tree, a trunk with a big green ball on top!

rather like it like that.

My weeping willow is in an 80 litre planter.

If you think pollarding the top growth will slow down the roots, I do
hope the other think you've got coming isn't too painful!

How long's the weeper been in the planter? (This is genuine interest,
not the prelude to a piece of smart-arsery.)

Mike.

Time may well prove you correct Mike. It was planted 20 years ago, it's been
no problem so far but as you say, one day it might be. I could also mention
the regularly pruned Acer only 6 meters from the house or the Sycamore at 20
meters which is now 10 meters high and growing fast.

Only got the weeper this May. This is turning out to be a high-maintainance
tree, I have had to lift it and trim the roots once already. It seems to
need 2 gallons of water a day, and as this is going to leech the nutrients
out of the compost very fast I give it a spoonfull of Miracle Gro once a
week, twice the recommended dose. After initial problems getting the
watering and feeding levels right, (my thanks again to Spider for his advice
on the subject), it is doing very well.

I have a very small garden and I love trees, particularly willows - an
unfortunate combination. :-)

Earnest