Old 25-08-2003, 07:42 PM
J. Del Col

Default Microbes an autoclave won't kill

"Al" wrote in message ...
This little blurb arrived in one of my astronomy newsletters called "The
Universe Today" (http://www.universetoday.com/)
and I thought it might be interesting to the flaskers and autoclavers in
this newsgroup:

These Microbes Can Take the Heat
Aug 18, 2003 - Microbes taken from a deep sea vent at the bottom of the
Pacific Ocean can survive in an environment that would kill anything else on
Earth - they live, and thrive, in water that is 130 degrees Celsius. The
scientists who discovered the microbes, called Strain 121, put the creature
in an autoclave, which is designed to kill all bacteria; not only did it
survive, but it kept on multiplying in the high heat. The discovery helps
scientists develop new theories of how life could have originated on an
early Earth that was much hotter than it is today.

There are bacteria and algae that thrive in hot springs.

J. Del Col