Old 25-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Andrew McMichael

Default Celebrating Abundance!

Pam wrote:

I would expand that to include any well prepped soil. I've
grown things in raised beds, containers, and in the ground;
and starting with good soil makes all the difference.

Sigh, yes. We moved to a new place with a large yard so that I could have a
big garden. Moved in in March, cleared about 4000 sq ft, and didn't have time
to prep the dirt (honestly, it didn't even deserve the term soil, it was just
packed dirt) before planting. Still, I'm getting great peppers, great beans,
poor tomatoes, and lots of cucumbers. My zuccs did great until I got leaf
mildew. Now they are very sad indeed. But, as parts of the garden have died I
have tilled massive manure mulch into it, covered it with grass clippings and
leaves, and tilled again. Now when you walk on the soil you sink about 5
inches down. I can't wait for next year.

Andrew