Old 25-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Kenneth Bruyninckx

Default Vanda in central europe

Hallo Andreas,

There is not much advice that one can give you I'm afraid.
As Reka suggested you should increase the light level gradually, I
have no idea where your plants came from, but I'm sure it wasn't grown
in full sun before, so it will need to adapt.

Now I do have some other questions for you:

- do you have a name for it ? Except for it being a "Vanda".
- has it flowered before ? and if so, when ?
- how large is the plant ?
- have you had it for long ?

I have to admit that I don't really monitor the flowering period of
our Vanda's (a shame yes, I know :-) ) but I am sure that they can be
quite variable in flowering season (right everybody ?).
If you acquired the plant recently then you may just have to be
patient a bit longer...

Apart from the general rules: lots of heat, lots of humidity and lots
of light there is nothing much left...

kind regards,

Kenneth Bruyninckx
Akerne Orchids, Belgium

http://www.akerne-orchids.com

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:49:57 +0200, "Andreas Mueller"
wrote:

Hallo all,

I have a Vanda here and I do do not know how to make her bloom.

I've read some information, that she needs lots of light and moisture.
Unfortunatly I do not know how to provie lots of light. I direct sun the
leaves get burned. I do not know how to solve the problem and why she gets
burned at all, as she is supposed to get lots of light. I've seen
fotographs where a Vanda was exposed to direct sun without any problems.

She is growing like crazy, new roots and leaves, but no blooming. I
suppose it's because of lack of light. But it's a dillema, because she
gets burned when exposed to sun.

Can someone provide some advice? How to get a Vanda to bloom in central
europe?

Thanx in advance,

Andreas