Old 25-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Kay Easton

Default Plants for raised border an N facing wall

In article , Tumbleweed
writes
Bit of a loser here maybe, but here goes. I have a brick wall that faces
close to N (NE if anything, so it gets sun until 11 or so, depending upon
time of year), and as of today, a slightly raised bed (4 or 5 inches above
ground level max) in front of it, about 18 inches wide.
Suggestions for planting? I told my better half we should cover it with
concrete but she wasn't best pleased :-)
Just to add insult to injury, the soil is not good, its dry, stony, clay.
I'm looking for things we can train against the wall that will not expand
out too much, and ground cover. I suppose grapes or fruit trees are out if
its not S facing? (something I can eat rather than just look at is always a
bonus)

Chaenomeles - japanese quince. maybe not a huge crop, but it's edible.

Otherwise, pyracantha, winter jasmine - these are all things I have in a
similar spot in my garden. Also have a Rosa mundi rose which, now it has
really got its feet down, has been flowering really well and not
succumbing to mildew quite so early in the year.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: