Old 26-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default manure v. compost

The message
from LizR contains these words:

I just need to know what I need in the way of bags, and whether I can
just bung it
straight on the soil and let nature take its course. Presumably so
where I'm leaving
it bare for next years sweet peas etc, but what about where I'm about
to plant
cabbages etc?

Really, you should grow greedy feeders on it the first year. Cabbage
doesn't do too well on freshly manured ground as it's too acid.

Typically, you should do well with cucurbits, cauliflower, celery,
weeds, (fat hen and some of the the other goose foot clan especially,
which make a fine green vegetable), tomatoes, chillis etc.

Give your cabbages some lime.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to