Old 26-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Pam Rudd

Default Kill Ants Organically?

When last we left our heros, on Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:18:40 -0500,
Pan Ohco scribbled:

The grits expand and kill the queen.

No, they don't. That's an urban legend that just keeps making the
rounds. Apply a little common sense and you'll see right through
it.

There are no short term organic solutions for combating fire
ants. Long term, beneficial nematodes and cultivating healthy
soil helps to control them. You might also check with your local
extension office and see if they've started a phorid fly
introduction program.

If you're not sure what kind of ants you have, once again turn
to your local extension service. Native ants have taken a
beating in the last few years, and most are actually harmless
beneficials. Between competition from the fire ants, and being
poisoned by home owners who are afraid they're fire ants, their
numbers have dropped.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"