Old 26-08-2003, 02:03 AM
Ron Nelson

Default Overdriving NO tubes

I recently setup a single 48" 40 watt tube with a 2x32watt ballast. It is
brighter, and maybe a little warmer but not much. I'm not sure about bulb
life yet... If you want to read more about overdriving go look at this
thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194

Ron

"Mort" wrote in message
y.com...
Is anyone here familiar with overdriving NO fluorescent tubes?

I met a DIYer today that does this to his lamps.

Apparently you replace the balast with a higher output Electronic ballast
(About $10 from home depot) and it can double even triple the output of

the
bulb. It operates at a higher frequency and does not shorten the life of
the bulb much at all. He's had a setup with a twin 30w 36" fixture that
with this balast is doing130watts after 1 year.

Anyone have experience with this?

~Mort