Old 26-08-2003, 03:33 AM
jammer

Default Litttttle baby toads and pond cleaning

Someone was one watering newly layed sod in the front yard and brought
me two itty bitty toads about 3/4 inch long. They had to be from the
toadpoles this year. I said that about the one my son found while
mowing last week, but that one was 3 times the size of these. I put
them in my little jungle area where you can always find a toad under a
pot and hopefully they will be around for years to come. Man, i really
am going to need a new pond within 2-3 yrs!

I also pulled out another WH, some roots, and about 6 bricks i had in
there for the toads. They can crawl out from all the plants now, i
believe. I dont see them in it very often now, but there are two young
ones (1 and 2 yrs?) out there tonight eating bugs under the still
rigged trouble light. I have been sitting here dreaming up this great
pond in my head. The toads have got to have an easy exit and the one i
have sure wasn't made for that.

I am thinking about cleaning out the pond and thinning the plants
about the 1st of september. Does it matter? What i thought i would do
is fill the kiddie pool with pond water and put the fish in there with
saved plants. Sound right? Then I will almost empty and use the shop
vac on the bottom and shelves. Then all tap and declor because they
are GF and i think they can handle it and that yr old water has got to
be funky! (no pump, filter, just plants and clear water with 2-4inch
and 1- 1 1/2 incher that escaped the round up last month?

The water from the tap might be 10-15 degrees cooler than the pond
water. Do i have to wait and let it warm up? I have filled it half way
with tap with no ill effects on the fishes part. Think it will be ok?
Does my cleaning plan sound right?