Old 26-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Dawn

Default Kill Ants Organically?

Is there any way to kill ants organically? We have tried pouring boiling
water on the colony, but it is just too large. Are there any natural
predators of ants that could survive in a south-western Virginia climate?

If they are plain black ants I don't worry about them. If they are fire
ants and I need them out of the yard because of pets or children, I've
had success with soapy water. It doesn't have to be boiling, just a
little sudsy. The water washes the nest out (mostly) and the soap
prevents them from using their smell to get back to the nest. Or
something. At any rate it's gone the next day.

This doesn't prevent them coming back someplace else in the yard. But
with weekly vigilance it kept my yard in Texas pretty much ant-free.

Dawn