Old 26-08-2003, 09:32 AM
J. Lane

Default Oak sawdust for compost?

NEVER add staight uncomposted sawdust of any kind into your garden. The
process of decomosition takes valuable nitrogen out of your soil. I have
rabbits that use pine shavings as litter and keep a separate compost pile
for their leavings. The pile will compost all winter( started in spring) and
by next spring will be added to the garden.Some sawdusts may take two years
for decomosition to take place. Oak, being a hard wood and full of tanic
acid, may take longer.
--
Jayel
"Joe" wrote in message
Is it OK to put oak sawdust on my garden this fall or spring and till it

in?
I heard oak has tannic acid in it. Would that hurt it?
Thanks