Old 26-08-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too little water????

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:
Heres what Im finding is working for me, I live in So. Calif, and our
days are getting up to or have been 85 to 109f recently and my lawn
started to turn brown, but *ONLY* in areas that got full sun from sunup
to about 5pm (the other areas of my lawn are shaded by my house from
about 1 or 2 in the afternoon), and what I found was that it just wasnt
getting enough water, I started hand watering those brown areas and it
came back like it should, it's not perfect yet, but it's coming back
strong.

As far as a watering schedule, I generally get up 20 minutes earlier in
the AM and turn on the sprinklers, then 20 minutes later I turn them off,
then I turn them on again once the sun is completely off the lawn for
about 10 to 20 minutes. I've tried the whole 1 inche of water per week
general rule, and watered enough once per week to provide even coverage
of 1 inch of water as measured in a tuna can, but that just wasnt working
for my lawn and my area, I find that watering every day (though I
sometimes skip a day) is the trick to a nice thick lush lawn, though it
does cost me more per month in water bills, but not much, maybe an extra
$10.00/month.

What you are seeing is the lowering of your soil temperature. This
is another benefit of irrigation.

--
GO #40