Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
J. Del Col

Default Scythe

"Gerg" wrote in message .ca...
...a pretty good book called "Scythe Book"...

I have seen several references to this title on the web. Don't hate me, but
I couldn't justify the cost of purchasing the book (or an anvil) yet. I had
searched our local library without success, but tonight I was able to
request this book from another library in Alberta.

I have contacted Lee Valley Tools, and they have been very cooperative, but
failed to address my concerns about the scythe.

After one day's use, the ring clamp has become bent. I assume that this is
because the pasture I am cutting has areas of dense/wet grass. I beleive
that this grass is difficult to cut and is covering the blade at the
beginning of the stroke, thus preventing the remainder of the grass from
being cut withing that stroke. The result is that I am using exessive force
to complete the stroke and forcing the blade out of the correct hafting
angle (repeatedly) and still failing to cut the grass effectively (sigh).
The ring clamp is bearing the majority of the force and is not up to it.

My gripes are as follows:
o The clamping screws on the ring clamp are not sufficient to hold the
blade in place when meeting resistance
o The ring clamp is not rigid enough to withstand the force
o The tang is thin and allows too much freedom of movenent within the clamp

This may seem a dumb question, but did you put the steel wedge
(or whatever it's called) between the tang and the clamp? The scythe
should have come with one. It allows you to tighten the clamp very
firmly.

I have used a scythe for years on tough weeds and grass, both wet and
dry,
and have not had the problems you describe.

As several posters have said, you do need to be very careful when
using a scythe. It's really easy to open an artery with one. Having
to use excessive force while cutting is an invitation to an accident.

Unless the scythe has been bent or had its edge seriously dented, it
shouldn't be necessary to use a hammer and anvil to sharpen it. A
good scythe stone and a bucket of water are all I've ever needed.

BTW,should you need an anvil but don't want to shell out big bucks for
one, get a foot long piece of scrap railroad track instead. Use a belt
sander to smooth the top, and you're in business. Yeah, I know,
purist ferriers will scream, but that's too bad.

J. Del Col