Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Half Ripened Tomatoes

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:55:28 GMT, Steve
wrote:

Thank you Pat.
Our season is similar to yours ONLY because I am lucky enough to live on
the waterfront of a warm shallow lake. There were already warnings of
scattered frost just 2 days ago. May 31 is often considered the frost
free date here but people who live away from the lake have years where
there is frost every month of the summer. (If not for the lake, I'm not
sure I would bother trying to garden at all.)
My average last frost is just about October 1st. I know people who live
in a "frost pocket" and they rarely get past the end of August without a
frost. Thank goodness for micro climates.

Old-timers here tell me that there has been frost every
single month of the year. I believe it, but haven't lived
here that long. It often goes into the low 40s at night in
summer, and occasionally high 30s, that's for sure. Not
good for heat-loving plants.

Do you have a hoophouse?

We're planning on building one this fall (although we may be
moving, which will set the hoophouse plans back, probably
until next spring.)

Pat