Old 26-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Paul Kelly

Default manure v. compost

Paul Kelly wrote:
Alastair wrote:
"PA" wrote in message
My father always said that putting manure down would result in an
allotment full of weeds. No idea if this is true or not. Anyone got
an opinion?

Depends how you make the compost.

In one go: Fill a 1m^3 compost bin with mixed greenery including
weeds, and it will get hot enough to sterilise the weed seeds in the
early stages of decomposition and worms etc will come in to do the
rest.

Dribs and drabs: Plonk a bit of greenery on as when whim takes or the
weeding basket is full and the heap will never get hot enough to
sterilize and the result will be weed seed in the compost and a weedy
allotment. This is in fact what most of us do and in truth most of
our compost heaps are just big worm-bins! If you do it that way you
must be religious about not putting weeds in seed on the heap.
General pruning, vegetable waste, veg patch clearings - all are fine:
But no weed seeds!

Opps, should have said that Yes in my experience, manure guarantees weeds!

pk