Old 26-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Jerry Minasi

Default birds pecking my tomatoes!

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:50:47 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Jerry Minasi wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:29:32 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Jerry Minasi wrote:

How do I stop the birds from pecking my tomatoes?
What have you good folks tried?
Thanks
Jerry

Put shallow birdbaths of water out for them. Supposedly they are
pecking them for the juice. They are thirsty. They typically don't eat
tomatoes.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Thanks, but I allready have a birdbath out for them.
Maybe my mistake is that I put out bird food for them every day...Some
thanks I get from them!
Jerry Shirley, Long Island NY

You could get a bird net or garden row to throw over the tomatoes
during the day. That would deter them. Although the sparkling CD thing
should work. Is the bird bad secluded away from traffic and movement?
DO you see them using it?

Yes, It's a large plastic flower pot base. I get at least 100 birds,
squirrels and nine wild turkeys every day. This is about seventy
feet from my garden.

I don't feed the bird here. Maybe you are attracting a bird that is
more damaging. For instance, pigdeons seem to peck at anything on the
ground.

There are twelve tomato plants loaded with fruit here and I don't even
see the birds go near them. None have bird damage. I always cover new
seed cause I have a tons of birds around and they will eat seed from
the ground. Other than that they haven't bothered them.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Yesterday, I hung up, on lines of string along the rows of tomato and
pepper plants, 26 silver CD disks. These I hung on about 15 inches
of string. I'm hoping that these will protect, what's left of my
tomatoes, (10 percent of what I planted). The peppers are still green
so the birds have not bothered them yet.

Jerry, Shirley, Long Island, NY