Old 26-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Really really sandy soil

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...
In article m,
dommy writes:

| I have a problem. I have got some really sandy soil at the back of my
| garden. Its difficults even to fork it over. Howver on the other side I
| have some really clay soil.
|
| I was wondering what would be the best way to amend this sandy soil.
| What if i were to mix in some clay soil? it would help with moisture
| retention?
|
| PS i dont have access to any horse and cow manure

Absolutely. I would recommend swapping as much of the two soils,
and then digging them in, as you have the energy for. It will make
BOTH soils more productive!

Also, start a compost heap, of the old-fashioned variety. You want
to dig in as much fibrous (partially composted material) as you can,
because it will aid water retention in sand and drainage in clay.

If you happen to be near the right kind of coast, composted seaweed is
great for both soils.

Mike.