Old 26-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Simon Avery

Default Hedge trimmer suggestions

Troy wrote:

Hello Troy

T We've got *lots* of hedges to cut - 200 yds+ of mostly
T hawthorn and privet plus a little of the dreaded L*******.
T Our second B&D trimmer has given up and is just ripping
T instead of cutting. It only lasted 2 or 3 years.

If the blades are still tight (ie, not floppy with a noticable gap
between them) then ten minutes with a good file should bring them
sharp again. With that much hedge I'd be surprised if many of the
cheaper electric hedgecutters would last for very long.

T Electric (not cordless)
T Not petrol (too heavy - otherwise would love one)

Bit pricier, but you can get backpack hedgecutters with the engine and
fuel tank mounted behind you and the cutter on a light shaft. Not used
one (though have the chainsaw version) but it seems a sound idea.

But petrol cutters have reduced in weight a lot over the past 5 years
or so. Got a little jonsered one here that does the job fine, but does
get your arms aching after a while.

If you're rural, bung the tractor driver a few quid when he does the
roadside hedges. I've had most of my hedges done this way for three
years - *much* easier!