Old 26-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Simon Avery

Default manure v. compost

(Alastair) wrote:

Hello Alastair

A My father always said that putting manure down would result
A in an allotment full of weeds. No idea if this is true or
A not. Anyone got an opinion?

Sound thinking, but depends on what the manurer was fed on. If horse
then grass is likely to propogate (a horse's gut isn't as efficient as
a cow's so is less likely to damage seeds), but horses don't generally
eat weeds of any sort, and won't eat seed heads when leaf is
available. We have corn growing on one of our muckheaps, but that's
probably due to waste feed rather than it coming through unscatched.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/