Old 26-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Jim W

Default Hello Garden, Shed Calling.

Sn!pe wrote:

[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries versus
compost-bins please?

Killed the xpost..

Wormeries.. need less care to be successful once setup. Need more
sheltered site than Compost bin..

Various designs.. Suggest the HDRA s booklet on Worm composting as a
place to start.. from home made to ready made..

We have an 'original wormery' (shown on this page..)
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/wormeries.htm

No we didn't pay 50 quid for it.. We hauled it out of a skip where it
had been discarded by its previous owners.. We find it works very well.
Its sited under the shelter of a mature tree. And gets protection from
frost in winter in a frost free outhouse (Actually a greenhouse or the
shed..)
That said there are homemade designs around for a similar construction
using a black bin.. (About 8 quid retail)

I would also recommend the HDRA for compost bin designs.. The
'recommended' approach involves 3 bins.. 1 current, 1 to turn into and 1
for matureing.. Given that a 1 metre heap exhausts its air every 7-10
days you have a lot of turning for the 'ideal' compost But most people
get away with lots less.

Cheapest bins are of wire, pole and cardboard construction.. Most
expensive.. The sky's the limit!-0
www.organicgardeningcatalogue.com for those booklets..
//
Jim