Old 26-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Hello Garden, Shed Calling.

"Linz" wrote in message

"Al.Kaseltzer" wrote in message
Sn!pe wrote:
[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries
versus compost-bins please?

Our worms died. But perhaps we didn't look after them well enough.

I reckon we had too few worms (and too small a wormery) for two people -

we
cook from scratch most days, and dinner involves onions and garlic which
apparently they're not keen on, and we have banana skins and orange peel,
and tea bags. And we should probably have put paper and the dried

sea-stuff
in more often.

One major drawback to the wormery, of course, is that to get to the

compost
you have to remove the layers of food and worms. With a decent compost bin
you just lift a panel and dig out a bit of compost. Apparently.

Surely it will all work out well if your wormery was in a plastic bin with a
small door at the bottom. Then, if you kept feeding from the top, there
will never be much by way of worms right at the bottom, and the good stuff
can simply be scooped out as needed, with minimal disturbance of the worms.

Franz