Old 26-08-2003, 09:42 PM
WNeptune

Default Algae on greenhouse walls

I just got finished scrubbing and bleaching the floors in my GH too. Luckily
I didn't get much of any algae on the walls that couldn't be taken care of
with a sponge and the same soapy/bleach solution I used on the floor. I
think most folks with larger GHs use a power washer on their poly carb. (The
term may actually be pressure sprayer). I used a wire brush and elbow
grease - but then I was cleaning a brick floor, not plastic walls! LOL!
Smells much better in there now.

K Barrett

"Gideon Singer" wrote in message
news
I have a "small" 8ft square polycarb panel greenhouse that every year
needs to be cleaned of algae. I was wondering, as I get ready for
another round of scrubbing and rinsing, what other people do to keep
their greenhouse walls clean and free of algae?

This has been discussed numerous times.
I have a Lexan liner in a glass house. If I use a wire brush, or even a stiff
brush on this , it will scar the surface.
I keep the algae under control by spraying down the walls, benches, and walks
every week with one % bleach. Although I make no effort to spray the plants,
they receive some, and I have not noticed any problems with this in over ten
years.
Washing down the walls with a power washer is not a good idea with multi
layered coverings, as the water tends to get between the layers and then the
inner surface is dirty, and there is no way to get to it.
Wilford Neptune