Old 26-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Chagoi

Default Pump Confusion

RROLD1 wrote:

Hello all,

I have purchased a pump with a rating that does not make any sense at all
(trusted the knowlegable sales staff). I am trying to figure out my cost per
month but the only specification provided is output watts. Now that I have
compared it to the next pump size down, I am really confused. I don't want to
install it if a smaller one will do the job.

Here are the specs:

My pump:
Rated 3800 GPH
Output Watts: 736

736 watts = 6.13 mps @120 volts
736 watts = .74KW
if 1 KW of electricity costs you $0.118 (11.8 Cents)
..74kw x 0.118 = .087 cents/hour
..087 x 24hours = $2.09 / day
$2.09 x 365 days =$764.00 /year
$64.00/ month

Next pump down:
Rated 3300 GPH
Output Watts: 330

330watts = 2.75 amps @120 volts
330 watts = .33KW
if 1 KW of electricity costs you $0.118 (11.8 Cents)
..33kw x 0.118 = .039 cents/hour
..039 x 24hours = $0.93 / day
$0.93 x 365 days =$341.00 /year
$28.40/ month

Without showing all the calculations you would be paying 55% more money
for only a 13% increase in gallons per hour

After reading the specs I called the dealer and asked the average monthly cost
to run each pump. They replied that the smaller pump will cost about $28.00 and
the other (the one I have) about $64.00. There is only a 500 GPH difference! Do
they know what they are talking about?

According to the monthly electricity cost they quoted you cost per 1000
watts/ hour ( 1KWH ) is $0.118
$64.00/ month @ $0.118 /KWH
$28.00/ month @ $0.118 / KWH

Check you electric bill for your TOTAL cost per KWH.
Total cost = cost of generation + distribution + transmission
+transition charges
eg. my cost = .046060 + .001720 + .030290 + .006140 = $0.08421 / KWH

Without showing all the calculations you would be paying 55% more money
for only a 13% increase in gallons per hour

After searching the newsgroups, I have found a lot of similar questions but no
difinitive answers (at least none that I understand).
Why don't the pump companies offer a table of actual killowats used per feet of
head?. Its the answer everyone seems to be after.

The KW's basically stay the same. It's the GPH @_?_ feet: that they chart

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Additional Info: The pump is submersible, I have a 2' head, and a bio
filter/falls.

Your GPH @ 2' head will depend on the specs of the pump.

3300 GPH and 3800 GPH ratings are @ 0' of head (no piping on outlet)

What brand and models are the pumps?