Old 26-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Vox Humana

Default cutting off perennials after end of season

"Cory Lechner" wrote in message
We have a great deal of perennials throughout our property (Regina,
Saskatchewan).

1) Should we cut off the season's growth to the ground before winter

comes?

2) Does the answer to #1 vary with species of perennial?

3) Does leaving the top on promote fungus growth?

I generally just leave my perennials as-is until late winter or early
spring. They give some winter interest to the garden and the seed attract
wildlife. The dead growth is a marker for the plant. It reminds me where
they are and prevents me from digging them up in a fit of spring fever when
I can finally get out of the house after the winter snows have melted. I do
clean the beds when I see new growth in the spring.