Old 26-08-2003, 10:22 PM
simy1

Default New to Group--Introduction and questions (long)

"Marilee" wrote in message ...

Our biggest weed problem is purslane. Does anyone have any really great
control suggestions?

Harvest it just before it starts forming pods, but even with pods it
will just be a bit crunchier than usual. Because it is slightly
lemony, you can save the vinegar in the dressing. It is almost
certainly the most nutritious vegetable in your garden right now. No
need to separate leaves from stems, the stems are just as good. I miss
purslane, in my 5hrs of sun a day garden in Michigan it does not grow
well. I used to eat a bowl a day in the summer. Shredded, it goes in a
number of summer salads, with beans, pasta, chopped veggies, you name
it. If you are like me a fan of totally green, but mixed, salads,
nasturtium is somewhat similar in texture but peppery, so they mix
well.

Does this group lean toward organic gardening or chemical control? Some of
each?

I am guessing that 67% of the people here are organic 90% of the time.
How's that for going out on a limb?

Is top posting a hot button? Off-topic posts? Thread drift re-labeling?

very civilized around here.