Old 26-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Joseph Meehan

Default Drought-Tolerate Bluegrass?

In my personal experience, blue does not thin due to low water, but it
just goes dormant. As soon as it cools off and moisture returns, it greens
up and is again thick. I my experience other factors cause it to thin,
like too little sun, bad drainage and other soil problems.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I want to over-seed my lawn in the near future. I would like to know
which grass seeds should I use.

Currently, the bluegrass in my lawn is doing OK, and I probably don't
want to replace it. But it is kind of thinning out in some areas. I
believe this has something to do with the fact that I don't water
enough and bluegrass needs a lot of water. Unfortunately, we have
occasional water shortage problem in where I live (Northern New
Jersey). According to locals, we have watering-ban every three to four
years. Seem like I should choose a grass seeds that is drought
tolerate.

But I am under the impression that bluegrass doesn't work well with
other grasses such as fescus because bluegrass will crowd out other
grasses when the condition is good for bluegrass. I may have to stick
with bluegrass or something that can grow with bluegrass.

My questions a

- Is there any drought-tolerate bluegrass, or bluegrass that is
"sort-of" drought-tolerate to some degree?

- Any other better choice? (No, I am not going to replace the
entire lawn at this point)

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Jay Chan