Old 26-08-2003, 11:42 PM
RROLD1

Default Pump Confusion

The brand of the pumps is "Steady Stream". The GPH on both drops about 200 GPH
at 2' head. I did find some info and think I may have put together the puzzle.

I saw where a 1/2 hp motor output is equal to about 730 watts (the pump I have)
and 1/4 HP at 315 watts. On a pump manufacturers site I saw REAL pump ratings(
I wish I bookmarked it as I visited many) . The closest pump was 1/4 hp
And their ratings let me figure that the pump would cost about $28.00 to run
per month. The paragraph precedding the pumps stated that the key was to
maximize the relationship between the pump and the motor without increasing
the HP to a point that it wastes energy. That may explain the higher wattage
pump without the expected higher output. I am going to exchange the pump for
the lower wattage unit and hope for the best. I guess I can always add a small
second pump if I want more flow when I am relaxing by the falls.

Since this is my first pond so I am full of questions. I have 24" fall from my
bio fall to the waterline. I want to maximize the water sound. Any pointers on
doing so? Will a series of 3-4" falls into small pools make more sound than two
8" falls? I know this is a wide open question. Any shared experiences would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve