Old 27-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Derryl Killan

Default cutting off perennials after end of season

Hi Cory

cut back your perennials but leave some stems so that you know the
plants are there.

You can leave the plants til spring and not worry about fungal
diseases.
Derryl

"Cory Lechner" wrote in message
We have a great deal of perennials throughout our property (Regina,
Saskatchewan).

1) Should we cut off the season's growth to the ground before winter

comes?

2) Does the answer to #1 vary with species of perennial?

3) Does leaving the top on promote fungus growth?

I generally just leave my perennials as-is until late winter or early
spring. They give some winter interest to the garden and the seed attract
wildlife. The dead growth is a marker for the plant. It reminds me where
they are and prevents me from digging them up in a fit of spring fever when
I can finally get out of the house after the winter snows have melted. I do
clean the beds when I see new growth in the spring.