Old 27-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Gordon Couger

Default GM crop farms filled with weeds

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
In sci.med.nutrition Gordon Couger wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Go under what? Are you saying that weed control is a useless

activity?

You admit it depends on the economics. Roundup Ready is suppoed to
make it cheaper. But it hasn't because of extra applicaitons and
other herbicides required.

It makes raising cotton about 8% cheaper over here.

Then what does Bt plus RR cotton do to cost? Of course it depends on
whether there is much infestation of boll worm that year. Some farmers sow
it for insurance. But if there were few bollworms that season it has been
cost for no gain that season.

Same with RR cotton. It is only going to be cost effective till the weeds
grow which are not killed by a minimal dose of Roundup.

Is 8% the average or the best? If not 8% what is the best? Then if 8% is
the average what is the worst?

And remember there is a bit less market resistance to GM cotton since it
is not a food crop. But I have never before had lung trouble with cotton
underwear that I am getting now.

I just know on cost what the guys farming for me tell me.

In Oklahoma last year BT cotton increased the yield over the same verities
with out BT about 5 to 7% at the experiment stations that did the test
acceding to the author of the paper. The paper is not published yet so I
don't know which stations and how much was irrigated and how much was
dryland. Last year should have been a light year for worms. It was hot and
dry. But it would depend on which stations they used. If corn was raised
around the cotton it increases the worm pressure since the corn ear worm and
boll worm are the same worm. The corn gives the worm a head start since the
corn silks as much as a month or six weeks before the cotton blooms. Corn is
raised near 3 or 4 of the experiment stations.

Gordon