Old 27-08-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Rooting in a gel

"Mark Fawcett" wrote in message
om...
: Kay Easton wrote in message
: In article , Michael
: Berridge writes
:
: Chris Hogg wrote in message
: ...
: Apologies for coming in late to this thread, but has anyone tried
: using those water-retaining gel granules as a rooting medium (after
: they've been well soaked, of course)? I would think they might be
: ideal, holding lots of water but allowing air to circulate in the
: spaces between.
:
: You would not want air to circulate round the developing roots. they
: need to be in contact with moisture all the time.
:
: Do they, though? I was reading an article recently which said that,
: contrary to previous belief, seeds and seedlings took in more water from
: the air spaces between the soil than from the soil itself. So might not
: the same hold true for cuttings?
:
: And don't most people add sand to the rooting compost - not to hold
: water, but to give air spaces?
:
: I dunno - I don't go in for cuttings.
:
: Im trying some cuttings in the water retaining gel granules at the
: moment, just some tangerine sage and some pinks. So far after 5 days
: they seem to be ok, I will post any results.
:
: Mark

Is it a special gel for this purpose - if so what is the brand name - or is
it just the gel that is used for pots, hanging baskets, etc for water
retention?

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier, but I have just come into this
thread.