Old 27-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Kay Easton

Default info on allotments please

In article , The Devil's Advocate
writes

There is a standard size which someone else will tell you but ours in
Plymouth are all different sizes. We have water and perimeter fencing which
is padlocked. Everyone has a key, plotholders that is. The plots are divided
by paths which in our case are just grass, others are lucky to have concrete
paths. The water is charged in addition to the rent as the water meter
charge is divided between the plotholders and is obviously different each
half year. Hope that helps

Ours in Sevenoaks didn't have water, though if you can lay on water that
would make them far more attractive.

Ours didn't have perimeter fencing either - crime rate in Ireland is a
lot lower, so you may not need it.

I wouldn't have though you needed power.

Decide what you want to do about sheds. Allotment holders traditionally
are very creative when it comes to erecting sheds from old doors etc ;-)

Some allotments say 'no flowers' but that seems a ridiculous restriction
in this day and age. What will be your line on planting permanent things
- fruit trees and bushes etc? OK, but to be left on the allotment? OK
but take them with you when you go? And what will be your line on
standards - will you require people to keep their plots in good order?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: