Old 27-08-2003, 02:12 PM
shannie

Default info on allotments please

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Ours in Sevenoaks didn't have water, though if you can lay on water that
would make them far more attractive.

Can do, It comes from a well and is free apart from the cost of leccy needed
to run the pump...which could be taken into account when working out the
rent.

Ours didn't have perimeter fencing either - crime rate in Ireland is a
lot lower, so you may not need it.

It's certainly low around here, the entire garden is surounded by high
ditches, but some kind of fencing around each plot Im sure would be ok.

I wouldn't have though you needed power.

A bonus

Decide what you want to do about sheds. Allotment holders traditionally
are very creative when it comes to erecting sheds from old doors etc ;-)

No problem as long as they don't throw shade on someone elses plot/use it to
live there they can put up whatever suits them I may even consider
putting in sheds myself, would have to look at the cost.

Some allotments say 'no flowers' but that seems a ridiculous restriction
in this day and age. What will be your line on planting permanent things
- fruit trees and bushes etc? OK, but to be left on the allotment? OK
but take them with you when you go?

Fruit bushes are fine, not sure about trees, the plots wouldn't be enormous,
Im not sure the trees would be a good idea, but we could come to some
arrangement once we know what it is they want. As to the flowers, the more
the merrier, if they just want a plot full of flowers that's fine

And what will be your line on
standards - will you require people to keep their plots in good order?

Yes, definately, for the comfort and enjoyment of others using the plots I
think it would be essential that the plots are cared for properly. Im not
averse to being a little lazy once in a while myself but a little common
sense would make everyones life more enjoyable.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: