Old 27-08-2003, 02:12 PM
anne

Default info on allotments please

shannie wrote in message
Having spent six hours today on grasscutting I have decided to rent out

the
half acre of land I don't use for allotments. As we don't have them here

Im
interested to know a little about them from yourselves please. For

example,
what is the average size of an allotment (yards/feet please) Do you have
access to water and power? What is the average yearly/monthly rent. What

is
used to divide your allotments?..ie fencing etc and anything else you can
think of. As said, allotments are not the norm here in Ireland but with

the
amount of new housing being built in the towns with postage stamp gardens

think I may be able to make a go of it, Im thinking along the lines of

four
in the half acre....too many??..too few?? Would love your imput.

Thanks as always
Shannie

Rents here in Yorkshire are as follows (council):
200m sq £9.80 + £7.80 water
300m sq £14.00 + £12.30 water
400m sq £18.00 + £18.00 water

No electricity. Each allotment is enclosed with a padlock on the main gate
to allotment area. Sheds etc need planning permission, fruit trees are
allowed. When you leave, everything you leave behind including buildings
become council property. If an allotment has buildings, it's the same rent
as those that don't. In practice, the council don't care what state your
allotment is in as long as you pay the rent.